Tuesday, October 6, 2009

No WONDER!

Well, it's no wonder I've been feeling so tired lately.

I was diagnosed with Polycystic ovarian syndrom when I was 17.  A couple years later came a diagnosis of Hypothyroidism. They seem to go hand in hand, along with insulin resistance which I also have.  Not enough thyroid hormone can make you feel fatigued, cold, and sluggish. It can also make your hair fall out and you gain weight.

During my pregnancy we kept a close eye on my thyroid levels because not enough thyroid hormone in pregnancy can cause birth defects. It was well controlled on my medication though so all was well.  But lately I've been showing symptoms. Of course, after having a baby it's normal to feel fatigued and for your hair to fall out. But I started getting concerned when I noticed that I was cold a lot more than I should have been considering it's been summer time.

So, I went to the doctor and guess what. My thyroid is all out of wack again. Time to up my dose...considerably.  The doctor also told me that this could be the reason for my massive breakouts lately and the fact that I'm not making enough milk! Thank goodness there's a simple fix.  Up the dose and I should start feeling better almost immediately. 

I've been out of town though, and haven't picked up my prescription yet. However, I'm at my Mom's and she's on a low dose so I took one of mine and one of her's and it's just about the right amount. And lemme tell ya. I feel so much better already. It won't fully take effect until I've been on it long enough to have it build up in my system but the immediate effect is noticeable. And yes, I have been producing more milk since I started taking more! Hallejula!

Now if only the weight would start coming off!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments but have no place for hate, foul language or judgmental attitudes. Please keep that to yourself.