Friday, October 16, 2009

Hats

It's gotten cold here in Munchkin Land so it was time to break out the winter hats. Only problem was, we didn't have any for Evelynn. With Hubs being home I had a little extra time with two hands so I figured I'd just make her a few using yarn I already had around rather than spending money. I found a few patterns and made my own up too.

Cherry Hat 

 I used this pattern. But I used Bernat Softee Baby yarn in green and pink. It's what I had on hand. Here's the view from the front.



Jester Hat


I wanted to make a jester hat but I couldn't fine a pattern for a crochet one and I didn't want to go dig around to find my knitting needles. So I sort of improvised based on this pattern.  I used Bernat Softee Baby White and a size G crochet hook. It was really very simple.

Chain 60
Join chain with a slip stitch being careful not to twist it.
SC in each chain (60 stitches)
SC in each stitch until your piece is about 6.5 " tall
On the wrong side join with a SC 20 stitches
create the next point with another 20 stitches SC together
Slip Stitch back to the center and join the last 20 stitches.
Weave in ends.



Flower Hat
 

I really had to make this one up since, as I said, I didn't want to go find my knitting needles. It was loosely based on this pattern and the pattern for the Cherry Hat linked above. The top flower applique came from here  and the small flowers on the ear flaps came from here.

I used Bernat Softee Baby Green, Yellow and Pink with a size G crochet hook for the appliques.  And I used Patons Melody Quick & Cozy White and a size K hook for the hat.

Follow the Cherry Hat pattern until the hat is the right width around. Evelynn's 17" head it took 7 rounds to get the right width and then several more until it was the right size. After the last round create ear flaps:
SC 6
Turn SC 6 Repeat until you have 4 rows of 6 SC stitches
Decrease by SC 1, SC two together Repeat and Turn.
Work decreases until you have one stitch.
Slip stitch down the flap until you get back to the hat, SC around until you are on the other side of your flap making the hat symmetrical Repeat Ear Flap directions above. Slip stitch back to the hat but then weave in ends.

Attach appliques with a couple stitches.


To make the ties:


 SC in bottom ear flap SC.
Chain 15
Chain 3
In the 15th Chain SC 1, Chain 1, DC 1, Triple C 1, DC 1, SC 1
Slip Stitch in the 14th Chain
Chain 5
in the 4th Chain from the hook repeat leaf directions above.
Slip stitch up the chain to make a thicker cord.
Weave in ends.

Repeat on the other ear flap.

I have no idea if that's the correct or easiest way to make those, I just made it up and it worked for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments but have no place for hate, foul language or judgmental attitudes. Please keep that to yourself.