Monday, October 26, 2009

Spitupotumus!

I have a question for all the experienced moms out there.  My daughter spits up a lot.  I mean a LOT.  Like if you bounce her around (which she LOVES) there's about a 98% chance you'll be wearing her lunch.  If you don't bounce her there's still a 92% chance.  And if you feed her, well then there's a 100% chance.  I stopped packing a change of  clothes for her when we go out and started packing one for me instead!  So, here's my question,  how do you know when it's spit up vs. real sick baby vomit?  She doesn't eat solids with any consistency  yet so it all looks the same.  And she can project it on any given occasion, usually relative to where you've positioned the burp cloth.  We're soaking 3-4 burp cloths a day over here!


See, she can even blow bubbles!  This is an old picture but you get the idea.
 
Anyway, spit up I can handle and giving her some rice cereal does help when I've had enough and the laundry has piled up.  I'm just afraid I'm going to miss a sign that she's not feeling well and with all this yucky flu going around I don't want to accidentally let things go longer. Any tips Mom buddies?

4 comments:

  1. Peter had reflux issues for the first few months so I can tell you definitively - spit up looks the same as the stuff going in. Vomit will be chunky (god help me, but - it looks like cottage cheese) and has as smell. It also projectiles out of their mouth.

    Yeah enjoy that little nugget of knowledge. Hoping she just spits up a lot for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get the cheesy stinky stuff quite a bit. So much so it's just par for the course around here. She doesn't seem bothered by any of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usually, if they're vomiting (and not spitting up) there will be retching and heaving involved and they'll cry because it hurts and it's scary. There will be more stomach acid involved so it'll smell a little different too.

    Is she on medication for reflux? Have you tried a probiotic supplement?

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's not on medication. When I talked to the Dr. about it last time he suggested giving her some rice cereal. That does work. It's just that she doesn't really like it much and won't take it in a bottle. I don't want to REALLY start her on solids until she's 6 months. Until then she only gets it when we're home and I'm not trying to get her to go to sleep, so randomly.

    I can deal with spit up. It doesn't bother her and she's still keeping enough down that she's healthy and growing. I just don't want to miss her actually getting sick because of it.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments but have no place for hate, foul language or judgmental attitudes. Please keep that to yourself.