Monday, October 19, 2009

5 Months



Evelynn turned 5 months old yesterday.  I go through this every month when I realize how fast time is going by. She's growing so quickly! She now weighs 15lbs 12oz. That puts her in the 74th percentile on weight. And she's 26 inches long. That's the 90th percentile on height.

She seems to be learning so much every day and new skills happen at lightening speed. She can easily reach and grab her toes. Though, she does not bring them to her mouth yet. And she can reach across her body now- right hand to left foot. She can hold a toy and pass it to her other hand too. And she reaches for what she wants and is very curious about the world around her. She loves to grab faces. She also loves to feel different textures. She'll rub her hand across your arm to feel the difference between skin and fabric. She's really starting to like the kitties. As a result, I think they like her less. She's pretty good about petting until she gets excited and then she grabs a big fistful of hair and sometimes skin. Kitties don't care for that game very much. Lucky for them, she's not mobile yet!

She still hates her tummy time. But she loves to sit up and stand. When she's seated she often falls forward while reaching for an object. Then she ends up falling into tummy time and gets mad. Part of me hopes that will motivate her to learn how to coordinate that whole crawling thing. But the other part of me hopes she won't get it just yet, because it's so much easier when I can put her down and she stays in one place!

She can roll over from back to tummy. She just won't. She'll easily roll to her side to work her way around her toy gym but when she starts to fall towards her tummy she sticks her foot out to hold herself up. She does NOT want to be on her tummy!

We've tried solid foods again recently with slightly more success. I won't go so far as to say she likes it but she doesn't cry anymore. Getting her to open her mouth for the spoon isn't all that easy though. She really likes to sit her in high chair while we eat dinner. I think she likes being included at the table.

I think she's beginning to understand what we say a little more so it's time to start introducing a few sign language words. She started imitating me the other day when I stuck my tongue out at her. So cute! So I think she may be able to start imitating signs too. We want to teach her a few basic signs like "More", "Milk", "Eat", "Drink", "Hot", "Cold", and "Pain". I have a friend who has done this and it has really helped their communication before she can talk.

Oh yes, and I made her another little hat:

I think she liked it. What do you think?!

1 comment:

  1. I think she loves her new hat!- catherine

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments but have no place for hate, foul language or judgmental attitudes. Please keep that to yourself.