Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Story of Vino Blah Blah Blah

I am very excited to be hosting a craft night/ Mommy play date tomorrow night. I'm SO excited, I'm breaking out one of my favorite spirits for the occasion. In my house it is affectionately referred to as Vino Blah Blah Blah and I can't wait to share a bottle with these lovely ladies. But as always happens when I say, "Oh! I got a bottle of Vino Blah Blah Blah!" People give me that look that clearly states they think I'm a bit wacko.

So, here is the story of Vino Blah Blah Blah.

In the Spring of 2007, the amazing man you see pictured here and I got married. We saved our pennies, paid cash for the wedding and made our dream honeymoon to Italy come true. It was perfect.

One night in Florence we were sitting in a crowded restaurant witnessing an exceptionally rude American man snap his fingers and demand bread and olive oil from the very busy waitress. (Side note: Bread and Olive Oil are served as starters in most every American Italian restaurant but we did not encounter this even one time anywhere in Italy.) But I digress. The dude was flat out rude. A bad stereotype. When the waitress came to our table I made a point to apologize for the guy and told her we weren't all like that. We then tried to make friends.

By the end of dinner we had told her we were on our honeymoon and she was kind enough to present us with a little gift- two champaign flutes filled with bubbly pink goodness. OH MY but it was delicious! Sweet, but not in a bad wine sort of way.  It had notes of raspberries and peaches and just the right amount of fizz. It was lovely. I wanted to bring home a case of it. We asked our new friend what it was. She told us. Twice. In Italian.  My Italian consists of "Aqua Minerale Naturale Par favore" (Still mineral water, please).  So, yeah. We didn't understand. We heard, "Vino Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah". And so thought we were doomed never to know the mythical pink libation.

Fast forward one year.  Our first wedding anniversary. The hubs, he loves to eat; and let's be honest, so do I. We'd heard of a place in Kansas City called Blue Stem that had a tasting menu with wine pairings and thought it would be perfect for our celebration. And it was. It was lovely. We had a wonderful dinner and then dessert arrived. Deconstructed Carrot Cake for me; something mint chocolate for Mikey. The Sommelier came by with our paired drinks. Mike got a mint julep. Then he started describing mine. Pink, sparkling- our eyes got wide, raspberries- wider still, peaches- Could it be?! He poured. We exclaimed, "Vino Blah Blah Blah!!" How serendipitous that it was our first anniversary AND we spoke the same language! We asked him to write it down for us.

Vino Blah Blah Blah = Brachetto D'Aqui
And this one is available at Sam's Club! 

So there you are. The romantic story of Vino Blah Blah Blah. I hope you'll try a bottle and share it with someone you love. 

1 comment:

I welcome your comments but have no place for hate, foul language or judgmental attitudes. Please keep that to yourself.