Saturday, January 15, 2011

Anatomy of a Blanket Design: Progress Update 1


Just a quick update. I'm really enjoying creating this! I decided to try cabling and am so glad I did! I've wanted to learn for a long time but didn't have the right project for it and thought it was going to be hard. But it turns out, it was very simple and I think it will be a great addition to the blanket.  Since I want the blanket to be the same on both sides I made two beige cabled strips and will sew them back to back to make one block.

I decided to give basket weave a try for another strip with the variegated green yarn.  I'm in the process of making a brown basket weave block too.

Not pictured is the second large brown knit rectangle I finished yesterday as well.  This blanket is really coming together quickly!

Here is my little road map showing my progress:

Yet to be finished are two medium sized knit rectangles in variegated green and brown (top left and bottom left), they'll be reverse stockingette or garter stitch; one brown basket weave strip (top right);  one variegated green cable strip (vertical left) and two variegated green strips that have yet to be decided. They will be placed center horizontal and top right horizontal.

I welcome your suggestions for the pattern of the undecided blocks.  Right now I'm toying with making them crochet since I've designed 4 different styles of knit blocks and only 2 styles of crochet blocks. All the blocks will all be assembled with crochet and it will have a crochet border, so it should be a fairly good mix of both though.  I've also considered making it a lacy pattern since the majority of the blocks have been fairly solid. However, the positioning will put them connected to two of the granny squares which are already pretty holey. I tried knit smocking for them, but with the variegated yarn the pattern just doesn't show up much, and it's such a narrow strip that it doesn't have a very dramatic effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments but have no place for hate, foul language or judgmental attitudes. Please keep that to yourself.