Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cleaning out the Fridge

One of the perils of being pregnant... I make my menu early in the week, do the grocery shopping and then develop an inexplicable aversion to at least one meal on my list about once a week. The result is a fridge full of a hodge podge of fresh and frozen veggies that I have to figure out how to use and not gross myself out.  Tonight's dinner was pretty successful. Evie and Mike both ate a bunch. I am feeling rather meat averse today, so I picked out the chicken but I'm still calling it a win.  I think it would have been better with fresh herbs, but I just planted my seeds this weekend, so we had to go with dried. But if you have fresh basil, oregano and flat leaf Italian parsley use them instead. The parsley would really make a fresh tasting addition.

Cleaning out the Fridge Pasta:  8 Servings, 8 Weight Watchers Points Plus per serving

Ingredients:

1 lb Pasta (we had Penne in the pantry)
1 tbs olive oil + cooking spray
2 8oz boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 10oz pkg frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 Tbs dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 oz fat free cream cheese (or more if you have it)
1/4 cup Parmesan, shredded + more for garnish

Directions:
Boil pasta according to package instructions

Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and add olive oil. Heat pan and add cubed chicken. Season with salt and pepper.  Add onions and garlic and cook until chicken is no longer pink and onions are translucent. Add mushrooms, tomatoes and spinach. Add Basil, Oregano, Salt and Pepper.  Cook until mushrooms break down, tomatoes pop and spinach is heated through.  Stir in cheeses until melted and well combined.

Add drained pasta to skillet and toss to combine. Serve hot topped with a little extra Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments but have no place for hate, foul language or judgmental attitudes. Please keep that to yourself.