Thursday, June 17, 2010

Lemon Pasta with Shrimp

The hubs and I have been trying new recipes lately. Tired of the same 'ol same 'ol you know. Last night we tried this recipe from Ina Garten. I usually love Ina's recipes but this one seemed a little lacking. I upped the fiber with whole wheat angel hair and added some bite size asparagus with the shrimp to roast. I also omitted the lemon zest because, well, I just don't like the texture of zest. But I think it needs something. Garlic for one. I think if we make this again I will make some substantial changes adding more veggies and removing the butter.  I think it will turn out more like this:


  • 2 pounds (17 to 21 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • Good olive oil
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 pound whole wheat angel hair pasta
  • 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1 bunch of Asparagus, cut into bite sized pieces
  • Cherry tomoatoes
  • 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
  • Parmesan Cheese for topping
  • Finely chopped fresh chives for topping
  • 2 lemons, zested and juiced

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the shrimp, asparagus, tomatoes and garlic on a sheet pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil, chipotle powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Toss well, spread them in 1 layer, and roast for 6 to 8 minutes, just until shrimp are pink and cooked through and veggies are tender.
Meanwhile, drizzle some olive oil in a large pot of boiling salted water, add the angel hair, and cook al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain the pasta, reserving some of the cooking liquid. Quickly toss the angel hair with 1/4 cup olive oil, the lemon zest, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and about 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking liquid. Add an additional 4 tbs of pasta water one at a time if it seems too dry.  Toss with the shrimp and veggies.  Top with Parmesan cheese and chives. Serve hot.

If you try it before I do, please leave a comment and let me know how it turns out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments but have no place for hate, foul language or judgmental attitudes. Please keep that to yourself.